Welcome to the Upper Missouri River Basin (UMRB) drought indicators dashboard.
This website provides access to drought indices that are used by the Montana Governor’s Drought and Water Supply Advisory Committee (Monitoring Sub-Committee). All datasets are calculated daily and can be aggregated by watershed and county boundaries. In this document we focus on:
- Providing current drought information using the most current peer reviewed science
- A description of the theoretical basis for a metric
- Data required for calculation of each index
- Discuss the relative strengths and weaknesses of a metric
- Validating a metric using on the ground observations (soil moisture, streamflow and groundwater; ongoing)
This work is supported by a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) National Integrated Drought Information System (NIDIS) Drought Early Warning System (DEWS). More information on NIDIS and the DEWS program can be found at https://www.drought.gov/drought/what-nidis.
Indexing Keywords: Montana Drought, Montana, High Plains Drought, North Dakota Drought, South Dakota Drought, Wyoming Drought, Idaho Drought, Montana Climate Office, SNOTEL, SPI, SPEI, EDDI, SEDI, Precipitation, Anomaly, Upper Missouri River Basin, NOAA, NIDIS, National Integrated Drought Information System, Drought Information System, Drought Metric, Drought Index, Daily Drought Analysis, United States Drought Monitor, Hoylman, Zach Hoylman